I have a love-hate relationship with the treadmill. Actually, it’s more of an accepting relationship since I live in a suburb of Chicago and it snows and gets dark at 3pm six months out of the year.
I was home today with a sick kiddo. About the only thing he wanted to do was be pushed around in the stroller so I took my run outside to a trail near our home.
Those of you who know me well, know that I am an avid Shred415 goer. Since I have been doing it for so long, I can mimic the workouts pretty well on my own. I have been trying to incorporate more hills into my treadmill runs after finding that running hills actually increases your endurance more vs. simply running fast or for long periods of time…It’s also good for the glutes ;).
The workout I am posting below is what I did on Saturday:
- 3 minute warm up at a pace you can comfortably run for 20 minutes at. For me, that is around 6.0 on a flat road – 0.0 or 1.0 for your incline.
- For the next twelve minutes, increase your pace by .1 to .2 every minute. Stay on a flat road – incline of 0.0, or 1.0 for more endurance. You should end your run at a pace 1.5 to 2.0 faster than your warm up pace.
- Cool down for 2 minutes – walk, slow jog, whatever feels good to you!
- Now you will begin climbing a hill. Run for 1 minute at your warm up pace (mine is 6.0) on a flat road. Stick with 0.0 for your incline.
- Every minute, increase your incline by 1.0 and maintain your warm up pace, or give a small bump in speed (0.1 to 0.2) as needed. Once you have run for a minute at a 6.0 incline, you will begin to bring your incline down.
- As you come down the hill, each minute decrease your incline by 1.0, and give yourself a bump in speed of 0.1 to 0.4 – whatever feels good to you.
- When you hit an incline of 0.0, give yourself a BIG bump in speed and run for two minutes fast to flush out your legs. For me, this is between 8.0 and 8.5.
- Then walk to cool down, stretch out those legs, and you’re done!
Did you like my workout? Want more workouts or have questions? Comment below or on Instagram!